Of late, there has been a phenomenal rise in the enterprise and consumer markets for IoT products and companies are striving to provide customers, what they promise to be “Seemless connectivity” for such products. But those two words mean a lot when it comes to developing actual products. We’ll see how.
The Connectivity Conundrum:
So when you ask a company, “What does it take to promise Seemless Connectivity?”, often enterprises would confuse quality of connectivity to just actual availability of network/downtime management to a user. There is more to connectivity than meets the eye. Consumer would want seemless connectivity at any given situation while also insisting on no loss in product quality or their data being transmitted . Hence developers need to be smart enough to understand this basic necessity and have all the fallbacks in place to handle every network scenario possible. But with the growing number of connectivity options to user available though OEM mobile vendors, reinventing the wheel of connectivity for every product JUST DOESN’T WORK.
Why so ? Even though product nature may vary, the wireless connectivity medium may change, the ideology of connectivity boils down to the following:
1) Better Connectivity over the network. This may include cellular, wifi or seemless migration to another when the alternative is not available. Small scale network such as BLE and NFC should also be covered.
2) Better handling of dropped data packets and ensuring synchronisation between backend service and customer data whenever network is available later.
3) Better usage of bandwidth while gathering maximum data.
So if you can have a system that ensures all of the above, across any mobile platform, only then we can ensure that “Seemless connectivity” promise.
But we can always see the people over at dev camp say “Hey that would take a lot of time and effort.”
Well, at Ideas2IT, we have you covered.
With our solution accelerators for IoT wireless connectivity for major mobile OSes, we aim at reducing the time to market for wireless connectivity products and yes, increasing the number of HAPPY CUSTOMERS !!!
The solution accelerator takes care of all the boiler plate code that needs to be conjured for making sure robust connectivity in any situation. Some of the features we provide through our solution accelerators include:
1) Support for legacy Bluetooth (2.0-2.1 EDR), BLE (4.0 and above) and WiFi
2) Framework is plug and play, which means better code size and easy support for any future wireless protocols as well.
3) Automated device discovery and seemless pairing of devices and device connectivity notifications for BLE and Wifi direct use cases.
4) Simultaneous connectivity maintainance and queuing of connectivity requests from multiple devices.
5) Fallback mechanisms for disconnects/loss of quality of network for remote scenarios.
6) Intelligent mechanism to reduce power consumption when network is in an idle state.
To name a few.
According to Gartner report
“By 2020, it’s estimated that there will be between 20 and 30 billion connected devices on the Earth. As a result, how we connect those devices should take precedence as the IoT field grows exponentially.”
Whoaaaa !! that’s HUGEEEE. And yes comes with all the challenges we saw earlier.
With this ever increasing demand for IoT in consumer departments like home automation, wearables and time critical areas like medical diagnostics, vehicle telemetry, industrial IoT etc, it does make more sense to have a framework that can help you concentrate on the solution rather than on the connectivity itself.